Sunday, August 4, 2013

Disappearing Nine Patch

Disappearing Nine Patch made with 5" charm squares
Finished Size:  35" x 48"
Charming Disappearing Nine Patch
 
I made 9 nine patches which gave me 36 blocks after cutting them into quarters.  With a 5 x 7 block setting I had one block left over.  I also sewed together three sets of 3 squares: medium, dark and medium; then cut the sets horizontally and vertically into 4 so that I had an extra 12 "sashing" pieces to finish the two outsides. Then I found one more dark 2 1/2" square for the last cornerstone.
I used mostly medium value charm squares and chose those with anything remotely interesting or larger scale for the outside corners of the nine patches (the ones that would remain uncut), the smaller scale ones went between to become the "sashings" and I chose the darkest for the centres of the nine patches to become the cornerstones.
The quilt was made specifically to this size as a lap quilt for use by dialysis patients at the local hospital.
I have made several DNP's over the years but usually with larger squares.  I found this one much less cumbersome to handle in the cutting of the nine patches into four.
Finished in July 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I love scrap quilts so this one immediately caught my eye. Looks like you've had a busy July!

    ReplyDelete